October 18, 2021
Introducing the next generation of AirPods: the world’s most popular wireless headphones just get better
New AirPods Deliver Cutting-Edge Spatial and Sound, Longer Battery Life, and an All-New Design
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple today announced the third generation of AirPods with spatial audio, delivering advanced features and a magical experience in a new streamlined design. By combining the power of the H1 chip with an Apple-designed acoustic system, the new AirPods use computer audio to deliver revolutionary sound with Adaptive EQ. Users can enjoy spatial sound with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music, movies and TV shows, as well as dynamic head tracking, on all Apple devices. The new AirPods are sweat and water resistant and feature a force sensor for easy and intuitive control of music and phone calls. Extended battery life provides up to six hours of listening time1 and up to 30 hours of total listening time with the convenient charging case. AirPods (3rd generation) join the world’s most popular family of headphones and are available to order starting today and in stores starting Tuesday, October 26.
“AirPods forever changed wireless headsets with their revolutionary design, amazing sound and magical experience,” said Greg Joswiak, senior vice president of global marketing, Apple. “We are excited to introduce the next generation of AirPods, delivering unparalleled sound through Adaptive EQ and spatial sound with dynamic head tracking, as well as seamless interaction between Apple devices, which makes the headphones the world’s best-selling even better. “
Brand new design
The new design of AirPods is lightweight and streamlined, placed just at the right angle for comfort and to direct sound into the ear. For a more subtle appearance, the rod is shorter than the previous generation and features the same intuitive force sensor as the AirPods Pro for media control. The new AirPods are sweat and water resistant, with an IPX4 rating for the earphones and the charging case.2
Revolutionary audio features
AirPods (3rd generation) build on the great sound quality AirPods are known for, starting with a custom driver and high dynamic range amplifier that together produce powerful bass with crisp, clean high frequencies. The microphone is covered with an acoustic mesh to help reduce wind noise, so that the speaker’s voice is distinct during calls. AirPods also feature AAC-ELD, a superior voice codec that delivers Full HD voice quality, providing clear and natural communication for FaceTime calls.
The new AirPods use computer audio to deliver the revolutionary experiences customers love on AirPods Pro and AirPods Max, like Adaptive EQ and Spatial Audio with Dynamic Head Tracking, to even more people.
For the optimal listening experience with rich detail, the new AirPods feature an adaptive equalizer that adjusts the sound in real time based on how the AirPods fit the user’s ear. An inward-facing microphone monitors the sound, then the Adaptive EQ, powered by computer audio, adjusts the low and mid frequencies to account for what may be lost due to adjustment deviations.
Spatial audio creates a three-dimensional cinema experience, placing sound virtually anywhere in space, and with Dolby Atmos, AirPods have never sounded so good. Users can also enjoy this multi-level experience with dynamic head tracking, so music, video, and even Group FaceTime calls are more immersive than ever before. By using advanced spatial audio algorithms and applying directional audio filters to subtly adjust the frequencies each ear receives, the new AirPods can place sound all around the user.
With a one-touch setup that automatically pairs AirPods with other Apple devices, users can effortlessly enjoy music throughout the day. Audio sharing allows listeners to share the audio stream between two sets of AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max, while using an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV.
A new skin-sensing sensor accurately discerns whether AirPods are in the ear – versus a pocket or on a table – and pauses playback when they’re removed. To improve the clarity of sound, beamforming microphones block out ambient noise and focus on the user’s voice, while users can also enjoy a hands-free experience by simply saying “Hey Siri” to them. requests.
Longer battery life
AirPods (3rd generation) offer an additional hour of battery life compared to previous generations, with up to six hours of listening and up to four hours of talk time. Just five minutes of charge provides about an hour of battery life, and with four additional charges in the case, users can get up to 30 hours of total listening time.3 AirPods are now also part of the MagSafe ecosystem for convenient wireless charging.
AirPods with iOS and iPadOS
AirPods offer great convenience and sound quality, and with iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, users can enjoy the following features:
- With spatial audio and dynamic head tracking, the voices of a Group FaceTime call sound as if they are coming from the direction the person is positioned on the screen, making it seem like everyone is in. the same room.4
- Announce Notifications allows Siri to read important and urgent notifications, including message, reminders, calendar, and call alerts, as well as any third-party apps that adopt the API.
- AirPods are now part of the Find My network of hundreds of millions of iPhone, iPad, and Mac computers around the world, offering proximity view in the Find My app and Lost Mode, along with separation alerts and sounds .
Apple and the environment
AirPods are designed with many materials and features to reduce their environmental impact, including the 100% recycled rare earth elements used in all magnets. The case also uses 100% recycled tin in the solder of the main logic board and 100% recycled aluminum in the hinge. AirPods are also free from potentially harmful substances such as mercury, BFRs, PVC, and beryllium. For energy efficiency, AirPods meet the US Department of Energy’s requirements for battery charger systems. Apple’s Zero Waste program helps suppliers eliminate waste going to landfills, and all final assembly supplier sites are switching to 100% renewable energy for Apple production. In the packaging, 100 percent of the virgin wood fiber comes from responsibly managed forests.
Today, Apple is carbon neutral for the operations of global companies and, by 2030, plans to have a net zero climate impact across the enterprise, which includes manufacturing supply chains. and all product lifecycles. This means that every Apple device sold, from component manufacturing, assembly, transportation, customer use, charging, to recycling and material recovery, will be 100% neutral in carbon.
Pricing and availability
- AirPods (3rd generation) will be available for $ 179 (US) and are available to order at apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in the US and over 26 other countries and regions as of today, with availability in the stores from Tuesday, October 26.
- AirPods (2nd generation) will be available at the new price of $ 129 (WE).
- AirPods Pro now come with a MagSafe charging case for the same price of $ 249 (WE).
- With Apple Music Voice plan, users can enjoy millions of songs, playlists and stations from Apple Music catalog through Siri. Apple Music’s voice plan will be available later this fall in select countries and regions for $ 4.99 (United States) per month.
- New subscribers can get Apple Music free for six months with the purchase of any AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.5
- AirPods require Apple devices running iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, watchOS 8.1, tvOS 15.1, or macOS Monterey, all available as free software updates next week.
- Customers can add personal engraving with emoji, text, and numbers to AirPods Pro, AirPods (3rd Generation), and AirPods (2nd Generation) cases for free at apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app.
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple is the world leader in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple’s five software platforms – iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS – deliver seamless experiences across all Apple devices and provide users with revolutionary services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, and iCloud . Apple’s 100,000+ employees are dedicated to making the world’s best products and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
- Five hours of listening with spatial audio on.
- The third generation AirPods have been tested under controlled laboratory conditions and have an IPX4 rating.
- Battery life varies with use. See apple.com/batteries for details.
- Available on iPhone and iPad with A12 Bionic and later, and Mac models (2018 or later).
- New subscribers only. $ 9.99 per month after trial. The plan renews automatically until canceled. Restrictions and other conditions apply. For details, visit apple.com/promo.
Apple Media Support Line