(Voorhees, NJ) – The Camden County Library System offers free tax filing assistance to seniors living in the county. The Board of Commissioners is reinstating this annual program which is essential for thousands of seniors to be able to file their income tax returns.
“Preparing a tax return can be difficult, especially when you have specific questions or concerns,” said Commissioner Melinda Kane, liaison with the Camden County Library System. “It is therefore imperative that we give seniors access to professionals who can guide them through the process and will give them the confidence they need to file their returns with confidence this year. »
Support is offered through drop-in services by appointment only.
Free tax assistance is being made available by AARP at the following branches of the Camden County Library System from February 14 through April 15:
- South County Regional Branch: Mondays and Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Canton of Voorhees, M. Allan Vogelson branch: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Township of Haddon, William G. Rohrer branch: Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Gloucester Township-Blackwood Rotary Branch: Fridays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
To make an appointment, go to taxaide.aarpfoundation.org. For more information, call (888) 687-2277.
VITA Tax Preparation, by the Working Families Campaign, will also be offering help at the following locations:
- Canton of Voorhees, M. Allan Vogelson branch: Mondays and Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Camden City, Nilsa Cruz Perez Branch: Wednesday 4-7pm, Friday 1-4pm, Saturday 10am-2pm
To schedule an appointment, visit cwfphilly.org. For more information call (215) 454-6483
For both services, the taxpayer will bring the documentation to their appointment, speak briefly with a volunteer and then:
- AARP: The taxpayer receives a return appointment later the same day to pick up their completed tax documents.
- CWF/VITA: The taxpayer is contacted within 2 weeks to prepare the taxes by telephone and receives the completed documents by e-mail.
Those requesting assistance should bring:
- Social security card or individual tax identification number (ITIN) for you, your children and/or your spouse
- All W2 forms, all 1099 forms, such as 1099G (unemployment) and 1099R (pensions)
- All Forms 1098T (tuition payments) and receipts for materials and books, and 1098-E for total interest paid on student loans
- Total child care expenses and name, address, Employer Identification Number (EIN) or SSN of child care provider(s)
- Total rent paid
- Any mail from the IRS
- Your bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
- If possible, a copy of your previous federal and/or New Jersey tax
Federal tax instruction booklets and forms will be available for curbside pickup once the library receives these materials.
The Camden County Library System also offers mobile hotspots for payment. More information can be found at camdencountylibrary.org/hotspot
The library system also offers contactless print pickup at all branches. More information can be found at camdencountylibrary.org/printing
Please note that library staff cannot answer tax-related questions.
“This service is not only popular, but a great tool for seniors across Camden County,” Kane said. “This is yet another example of how the Camden County Library System is working to meet the needs of our residents here in the area. From tax assistance to literacy classes, our online high school and beyond, we are committed to providing adequate resources to the community that go beyond the traditional uses that come to mind with a library.
Federal tax information:
- Federal tax forms are available on the IRS website www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
- IRS main phone number: 800-829-1040. You can call this number to have the forms sent to
- The local IRS office is in Cherry Hill, NJ. Assistance is by appointment only – to make a
appointment, call 844-545-5640. You must wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Their hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m.). 51 Haddonfield Road, Cherry Hill, NJ 08002 856-321-1328
New Jersey State Tax Information:
For more information, please visit www.camdencountylibrary.org