July 2, 2021
July 4, 2021
The New York City Police Department today announced the closure of streets during Macy’s annual fireworks display on the East River. The event will take place on Sunday, July 4, 2021 beginning around 9:20 p.m. and ending at 9:50 p.m. The Department reminds spectators that no large rucksacks, large coolers, lawn chairs, garden blankets, parasols or alcoholic beverages will be allowed in the observation areas. All restricted items are subject to search and seizure.
Drivers are advised to use public transport and avoid the following locations between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m.
MACY’S ANNUAL JULY 4TH FIREWORKS
Manhattan location: Road closure approximately between 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- FDR Drive between Battery Park Underpass and East 63rd Street
- Avenue C between East 16th Street and East 20th Street
- East 20th Street between 1st Avenue and Avenue C
- East 23rd Street between 1st Avenue and Avenue C
- East 26th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 30th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- 30th Street Entrance Ramps
- East 33rd Street between 1st Avenue and 3rd Avenue
- East 34th Street between 2nd Avenue and FDR Drive
- Entrance ramps from 34th Street
- East 37th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 38th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 41st Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 42nd Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- 42nd Street Entrance Ramps
- East 48th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 49th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 53rd Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
East River Bridges Reviews
- Brooklyn Bridge – Between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., No pedestrian or bicycle traffic. Automobile traffic will remain open.
- Manhattan Bridge – Between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., No pedestrian or cyclist traffic. Automobile traffic will remain open.
- Williamsburg Bridge – Between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., No pedestrian or bicycle traffic. Between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., No car traffic.
- Edward I. Koch Bridge (59th Street Bridge) – Between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m., no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. Between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., No car traffic.
PUBLIC VISUALIZATION – Manhattan
The public viewing sections in Manhattan will be the raised portions of the FDR reader with the following entry points:
Note: Access blocks will close as viewing areas fill up and spectators will be redirected to additional open access blocks, if applicable.
- 23rd street
- 34th street
- 42nd street
Manhattan ADA (disabled access)
- ADA – FDR southbound lane at 18th Street and Avenue C (via 20th Street and 23rd Street)
Brooklyn / Location:
- Domino Park – Access point located at South 5th Street and Kent Avenue
- Bushwick Inlet Park – Access point located on Kent Avenue, North 9th Street to North 10th Street
- Transmitter Park – Access point on Greenpoint Avenue to the dead end
- Newton Barge Playground – Access point at 3 Commercial Street
- Marsha P. Johnson State Park (East River State Park) – Access point to Kent Ave and North 8th Street
To note: This year, due to the placement of the barges, Brooklyn Bridge Park is not a viewpoint
Queens / Location:
- Gantry Plaza State Park – Access points located on Vernon Blvd at 48th Ave, 47th Road, 47th Ave, 46th Road and 46th Ave.
OVERVIEW In addition to the fireworks, around 7:45 p.m. Sunday evening, helicopters from the NYPD Aviation Unit will fly over the East River between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Ed Koch Bridge.
MEDIA PARKING As of 1:00 pm, media parking for “Broadcast Vehicles Only” will be permitted on the west side of Center Blvd between 50th and 51st avenues. All trucks must be in the staging area by 1:00 p.m. A representative from the NYPD DCPI will then order the trucks to park at a designated position for the show after security has been completed. No other vehicle is allowed. Members of the media are reminded that NYPD press credentials should be worn fully exposed at all times when the wearer is on or within police lines.
For any update follow us to @NYPDNews